Saturday, March 10, 2012

Our Last Day

We had a chance to sight-see again today, before setting our sights on home tomorrow.  We are finally getting the knack of the buses and made it back and forth into the center of Rome easily.  Our first stop was just off the Corso--a yarn shop for all the others who knit and crochet.  Doris Ann had found a store through Google, so we headed there first.  There were a number of other little shops in that alley, so we spent some time there.  Since I'm mostly quilting these days, I didn't get any yarn.  I did buy some nice scarves in another shop, though.

After that we walked to the Capitoline Museum for a special exhibit of items from the Vatican's archives.  These included the document that excommunicated Martin Luther, a 60-meter-long role of depositions from the trial of the Knights Templar, a book from about 600 A.D--the oldest book in the collection, the signed confession Galileo had to make, a letter from Michelangelo to one of the popes, etc., etc.  It was pretty amazing and, of course, a perfect exhibit for book geeks.  It certainly made the books we handled all week look like new!

After that we headed down the hill toward the Basilica of St. Peter in Chains.  We stopped along the way for lunch.  We finally had some Roman pizza, which everyone enjoyed.  Then on to the church to see the chains which purportedly held Peter when he was arrested in Jerusalem, and also to see Michelangelo's statue of Moses.  From there we went to Giolittini's (sp?) for gelato.  It's an experience, but I've done it twice now and don't feel the need to fight the crush of people again.  Then we headed to the Pantheon.  Unfortunately we couldn't get in because there was a Mass inside.  From there we walked a bit and actually found a bus which stops near the house!  We hardly had to wait at all, unlike yesterday when we waited for quite a long time as nighttime fell.  It was a full day and a good time was had by all!

There is still talk of a group of us returning in May, but the timing will depend on when the compact shelving is installed in this house.  All the archives from a different section of the other building is being moved here.  And of course we don't know who will be asked to come.  Liz has been twice and doesn't love to travel, so she will be happy to give up her spot.  Mary is really hoping to return.  I imagine Doris Ann will come back, but the timing may be problematic for her.  I'd be happy to return, but would also be content to give someone else a chance.  I think there's a chance Doris Ann would send me if she doesn't come because I can help people get around.  I'm definitely going to keep reviewing my Italian in case I do come back!  It has been fun to speak it a little again!

Tonight we will join the priests for dinner and say good-bye to these new friends from around the world.  Our flight is tomorrow afternoon, so we won't arrive at Logan until about 10:30 pm.  I don't expect to get home much before 1am, but that should feel like 7am to me.  I might not be in too bad shape if I can get some sleep on the plane. We all have to hit the ground running on Monday because we are starting the interviews for my old job.

I'll see/talk to you all soon!

No comments: