Thursday, March 1, 2012

A New Adventure Begins--Some Background

So why am I going to Italy this time? 

It won't be a very touristy trip; I am joining three other Assumption College librarians to catalog and pack up about 1200 books (possibly more) that are currently being housed in one of the buildings that is part of the Assumptionist Community in Rome.  The books will be packed in acid-free paper to protect them and then boxed and moved.  Assumption College is planning to start a semester abroad program in Rome and the  building we will be working in is set to be rehabbed for the students and faculty.  It will also contain dining, kitchen, and classroom space.  The books are in the basement, so that will be where we spend most of our time.  Two of the librarians were there a few weeks ago, so they have set up a procedure for us to follow.

At some point a now unknown Assumptionist made a list of these books which includes authors, titles (primarily in Latin), and year published.  We have to find the matching books and record which box we've put them in.  I already knew that we would be working with books published before 1830, but I saw the list today and some of them are from early in the 1500's!  I think that it will be interesting to see some of those (at least at first.)  I know, I'm a library geek now!

We will be staying in a different building.  The whole facility is near the Juniculum Hill and one of my favorite parts of Rome, Trastevere!  I hope I'll get to sneak out and visit the piazza at Santa Maria in Trastevare.   Then I'll really feel like I'm "home."

Although we each have something in particular we'd like to see, I'm less optimistic after some meetings today that we'll have much time to do so.  Finishing the job is really the priority and the community is expecting us for most meals.  I hear, though, that the Italian cook is quite good.  Right now we are scheduled for one meal out and a couple hours of sightseeing.  However, we are staying until Sunday with the idea that we may have some time to tour on Saturday, so we'll see.  Also, we may have a little free time this Sunday afternoon if the flights go smoothly, so maybe I can show my colleagues Trastevere.


If you're reading this, you know how happy I am to be heading back to Italy--and so unexpectedly!  I wish I had more time to cram Italian back in my head because I really haven't kept up with it since my last trip.  I had already been starting to think about a trip there next year, though, and planning to start studying again in the fall.  This trip has given me a jump start!

So those are the basics of w hat this trip is about.  I'll try to keep you posted!

No comments: