Sunday, May 4, 2008

Made it to Perugia, Part II

After we finished our gelatoes, we took the subway to the Colosseum. It was fun to watch Marlene's face when we walked out of the metro station and saw it! Rome was mobbed yesterday for a holiday weekend, so all the sites were extremely crowded. We tried to walk through the Forum, but the rumors are true--it is now impossible to get in without buying a ticket. Unfortunately the ticket and entrance are quite far away and by the time we found it we were tired and hungry. So we grabbed a quick lunch and walked quite a distance to the Trevi fountain. Of course we both threw pennies in the fountain to ensure our return. Then on to the Pantheon. On our way we passed the Trinity College Rome pub. Conor, I can't remember if that is where we had lunch one day or if it's new. After seeing the Pantheon we pushed on to the Piazza Navona, one of my must-sees for the day.
Unfortunately the major fountain there was covered with scaffolding, but the gelateria I remembered was still there. I had planned for months that I would eat a gelato in Piazza Navona wearing a swishy skirt and there I was at last! It felt great!
By this time Marlene wanted to sit and enjoy a cappucino, so we sat at a restaurant to enjoy our drinks ( a beer for me on that hot day!) We sat for over 2 hours until we had to start planning dinner, just enjoying the ambiance! Marlene hadn't known that you may sit for hours like that in Italy without the waiters fretting.
We decided to go to Trastervere for dinner and ate at il Duca (again, it sounded familiar.) Once again we sat for quite a long time people-watching. Suddenly we realized we had to get going or we were going to miss the midnight curfew! After waiting for a bus that never showed up, we commandeered a taxi and made it with about 15 minutes to spare! Phew! It was a full day!
Today I have travelled to Perugia. It was easy to take the train, but I got lost getting to my hotel. I finally found it, with the help of a nice Italian man, and am settled in for tonight. Tomorrow I move to my apartment and start class. It's a lovely town and I'm sure I'll enjoy it very much! This afternoon I have been trying to get my bearings so I know where to go tomorrow.
That's all the news from here!

Love to all!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! What a full couple of days! Sounds like you're having fun, and I'm glad you got to do your "gelato and swishy skirt" thing!
Love,
Peter

Conor said...

I am so jealous of you, Mom! Sounds just amazing. The Trinity Rome pub is indeed where we had lunch--as I recall, we were all craving a decent burger after all that pasta. And you, Whitney, and I ate at Il Duca once. Pretty decent spot.

Keep updating--I'm living vicariously through your blog!